- St. Paul
- Site: Silhouette Dance School Society
- School Policies
SILHOUETTE DANCE SCHOOL SOCIETY
~~~~~ SCHOOL RULES ~~~~~
PLEASE READ CAREFULLY!
1. Students must have and wear the school uniform to dance class by October 15 of each dance school year. No outside clothes shall be worn during class unless deemed appropriate by the instructor. Hair shall be worn up away from the face. Students not in proper uniform may be barred from attending class.
School uniforms are as follows:
- pink dance tights or jazz pants (NO athletic or sweat pants)
- pink ballet shoes (slipper type)
- choice of black slipper or black oxford jazz shoe – oxford type recommended for Gr 2 & up
- tankstyle black bodysuit
- for all: hair off the face in a bun, ponytail or pinned back
2. No jewellery or gum chewing will be allowed in class. It is requested that students leave valuables at home, the school is not responsible for lost or stolen items.
3. Students must be on time for class and enter the studio quietly so as not to disrupt others. Students must be quiet while they are waiting for their class.
4. There is no adult supervision before or after classes. Parents please be aware of this. You are responsible for the behaviour of your children.
5. There is no phone in the studio. It is the parents responsibility to arrange for pick up of students, immediately following the students’ class.
6. It is requested that the students use the washroom prior to classes commencing so as not to interrupt the class.
7. Parents are not allowed to observe their child while class is in progress. There will be opportunities for parents to watch their child perform during the year. Parents will be informed when Watcher’s Week or other performances will occur.
8. Costumes will be required for the year-end show. Parents will be asked to pay a non-refundable fee for rental of costumes and a refundable costume deposit fee. Costumes cannot be used for any purpose other than the year-end show without prior permission of the board.
9. At registration, 3 service deposit fees and 2 fundraising fees in the form of undated cheques will be collected for each student. The cheques will be deposited should the parent not perform their service or fundraising duties to acceptable standards. The amount of the fees will be determined on a yearly basis.
10. A yearly non-refundable membership fee per student shall be paid upon registration with the dance school. New members membership fee is $25 and returning members the membership fee is $20. Fees are to be paid monthly in advance on the first of the month by post-dated cheques from Sept. 1 to April 1 or may be paid in one lump sum. Outstanding fees may result in the student being barred from class until payment is made; which will be included in the three allowable missed classes. Notice of quitting must be given in writing by the parent/student/guardian to a board member in person by the 15th of the month in order not to pay fees for the following month, if given after the 15th; payment of the following month’s fee must be made. Receipts for income tax purposes will be provided by February 28 of each year and will be calculated in accordance with the rules as set out by Canada Revenue Agency. Duplicate receipts will be provided at a fee of $10. THERE IS A $25.00 FEE ON ALL NSF CHEQUES. THREE NSF CHEQUES IN THE DANCE SEASON WILL RESULT IN TERMINATION OF MEMBERSHIP.
11. Students may be asked or invited to attend/perform at local events to help promote the school. Participation is voluntary, but provides valuable experience for students.
12. Placement in a grade level will be at the discretion of the instructor. Parents are free to consult privately with the instructor regarding the progress of their child. The instructor is ONLY available to parents, briefly, at the termination of classes for the day.
13. INAPPROPRIATE AND/OR RUDE BEHAVIOUR BY PARENT(S) AND/OR STUDENT(S) WILL NOT BE TOLERATED. Meetings with the instructor or the board should be done in private. According to the Silhouette Dance School Society By-laws #6, “Any member upon a majority vote of all members of the Board of Directors may be expelled from membership for any cause which the society may deem reasonable.”
14. Membership in the school will be terminated should a student miss more than 3 classes between September 1 and December 31, OR between January 1 and the year end show. “The class will be considered missed if the student arrives more than 10 minutes after class start time.”
15. It is the responsibility of the parents to notify a board member of address or phone number changes to ensure they continue to receive information.
16. Parents are encouraged to become actively involved in the school and to communicate their comments, concerns and ideas to make the dancing experience an enjoyable one for both dancers and parents.
17. Medical history that parents feel should be noted is to be indicated on the registration form.
18. Parents are requested to read the bulletin board regarding important updates and school news. Newsletters are the main source of communication between the board and parents. They are generally published the first week of the month and are available online at www.silhouettedanceschool.ca/. or http://www.silhouettedanceschool.ca/document/library/169. It is the responsibility of the parent to ensure they receive a copy.
19. In fairness to the other dancers, all dancers must attend all mandatory rehearsals and year-end shows. Membership may be terminated should the student miss any of the mandatory rehearsals or performances. A student may apply for an exception if the absence is absolutely necessary on an educational or scholarship basis only. The application must be made in writing to the board in writing by the 1st of each month to be considered at that month’s board meeting. Applications must be submitted before April 1 to be considered for that year’s shows and rehearsals.